Japanese Agricultural Standard (JAS)
JAS is the abbreviation for “Japanese Agricultural Standard”, which includes organic food and farming
standards for Japan. Australian Certified Organic was the first certification body to become JAS
accredited within Australia and has the majority of JAS clients within Australia.
ACO is also accredited to certify to the JAS organic livestock and livestock feed standards.
The JAS mark is required for export of all products covered under the JAS organic standards, except
the importer already carries JAS certification (agricultural and processed products only). A list of
JAS certified Japanese importers can be obtained
The main categories of certification under JAS are quite similar to ACO. Categories differ depending on
whether a product or ingredient is unprocessed or processed, and the stage at which the product is
packaged for sale to Japan.
Products that are exempt from the JAS scope and do not require JAS certification include personal care
products, honey, aquaculture and alcoholic beverages.
The following list includes links to download more information for each JAS category:
Agricultural Producer / Grower
Processor / Manufacturer
Livestock Producer / Grower / Abattoir
Producer & Processors of Organic Animal Feeds
Repacker / Relabeller / Sub-Divider
For more information on JAS please check the Japanese Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF)
The JAS certification system is very similar to the system used to certify ACO clients. In addition to your current ACO
certification, to apply for JAS you need to submit the information and follow the process outlined below:
- Complete JAS Application form: Producer/Processors/Feed/Repackers or Livestock
- Attend JAS training course. When formally applying for JAS certification you will need to identify an individual who will be responsible for Quality Management Operations (the Production Process Manager – PPM) and an individual who will be responsible for Grading (Grading Manager). These key individuals will need to have completed a JAS training course which is mandatory to JAS certification and needs to be prearranged with ACO.
- Complete the following documents provided by ACO:
- Operation ChecklistUpdate your Organic Management Plan including JAS procedures
- Grading Manual. Grading is essentially an internal auditing process that is implemented prior to the application of the JAS logo.
- Submit Ingredient Declaration for specific JAS products (if required)
- Submit other relevant documents (e.g. Current certificate for organic ingredients – if processed products)
- All documents are review by ACO
- On-site audit allocated & audit conducted at operation premises
- Certification Review Committee (CRC) review (Audit report reviewed by appointed reviewer)
- Licence Agreement issued
- Certificate issued (original JAS certificates are only issued once without an expiry date. Confirmation letter will be issued annually)